Rev. Dr. Jonathan Gibson (PhD, Cambridge University) is the newly appointed assistant professor of Old Testament, and will begin teaching in the 2016–2017 academic year. Dr. Gibson is presently associate minister at Cambridge Presbyterian Church in England.
He is a contributor to and coeditor (with David Gibson) of From Heaven He Came and Sought Her: Definite Atonement in Historical, Biblical, Theological, and Pastoral Perspective. He is also the author of historical and biblical articles in Themelios, Journal of Biblical Literature, and Tyndale Bulletin, as well as “Obadiah” in the NIV Proclamation Bible.
Dr. Gibson’s academic interests include biblical theology, covenant theology, Genesis chapters 1–3, inner-biblical allusion and exegesis within the Old Testament, Pauline soteriology, and the doctrines of grace.
- PhD in Hebrew Studies, Girton College, Cambridge University, 2013
- BD (Hons), Moore Theological College, Sydney, 2008
- BSc (Hons) in Physiotherapy, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, 2001
Dr. Gibson is an ordained teaching elder in the International Presbyterian Church, UK.
Teaching and Professional History
- Associate Minister, Cambridge Presbyterian Church, England, 2014–present
- Lecturer in Biblical Theology, Christian Heritage Apprenticeship Program, Cambridge, 2013–2015
- Independent Researcher, Tyndale House, Cambridge, England, 2013–2014
- Part-time Lecturer, Diploma in Biblical Studies, Moore Theological College, Sydney, 2009
- Physiotherapist, Dundonald and Newtownards, Northern Ireland, 2001–2005