Carl R. Trueman
Rev. Dr. Carl R. Trueman (PhD, Aberdeen) holds the Paul Woolley Chair of Church History and is professor of church history at Westminster Theological Seminary. He has written more than a dozen books, and is currently co-editing with Bruce Gordon the Oxford Handbook of Calvin and Calvinism due in 2017.
Dr. Trueman’s academic interests include Reformation church history, including the life and work of men like Martin Luther and John Owen. For those who are new to Dr. Trueman’s writing and teaching on his research interests, he recommends several resources as places to start. Regarding Reformation church history, he would recommend beginning with his course The Reformation, available free online from Westminster, or his book Reformation: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow. On Luther, he would recommend watching his recent lecture “Martin Luther, Troubled Prophet,” or reading Luther on the Christian Life: Cross and Freedom. On John Owen, he would suggest his book John Owen: Reformed Catholic, Renaissance Man, or watching his recent lecture series on the topic.
Dr. Trueman also writes online regularly at firstthings.com on contemporary issues such as religious freedom, identity politics, and the state of the church.
- PhD, University of Aberdeen, 1991
- MA, St. Catharine’s College, Cambridge, 1988
Dr. Trueman is an ordained minister in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church, and is pastor of Cornerstone OPC in Ambler, PA.
Teaching and Professional History
- Professor, Westminster Theological Seminary, 2001–present
- Vice President for Academic Affairs and Academic Dean, Westminster Theological Seminary, 2006–2012
- Editor, Themelios, 1998–2007
- Senior Lecturer in Church History, University of Aberdeen, 1998–2001
- Lecturer in Theology, University of Nottingham, 1993–1998
- Tutorial Assistant in Church History, University of Aberdeen, 1991–1993
- The Ancient Churchv (CH211)
- The Medieval Church (CH223)
- The Reformation (CH311)
- English Puritan Thought (CH732)
- God and Scripture in the Era of Reformed Orthodoxy (ca. 1560-ca. 1680) (CH783)
- Scottish Presbyterianism (CH863)
- The Life and Thought of John Owen (CH872)
- Reformed Confessions and Catechisms (CH891)
- Readings in the History of Reformed Thought (CH961)
- Life and Thought of Martin Luther (CH972)
- Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals
- North American Patristics Society
- Kerkhistorisch Gezelschap
Other Online Resources
- Mortification of Spin, co-host of the weekly podcast and regular contributor to the blog
- First Things, regular contributor
- Additional sermons from Dr. Trueman are available from his church, Cornerstone Orthodox Presbyterian Church