Rev. Dr. Timothy Witmer (DMin, Reformed Theological Seminary) is professor of practical theology and coordinator of the practical theology department at Westminster Theological Seminary. He also serves as the director of the mentored ministry program at Westminster.
Dr. Witmer’s interests encompass all aspects of pastoral ministry and shepherding God’s flock, expressed through his over 35 years of pastoral experience. His pastoral work began in a church plant in the Main Line suburbs of Philadelphia (Springton Lake, PCA), continued for 27 years of ministry in revitalizing an urban congregation into a thriving, multi-ethnic church (Crossroads, PCA), and he is now in the process of revitalizing a former UCC church and bringing it into the PCA (St. Stephen Reformed).
To understand his heart and perspective for shepherding ministry, he recommends to begin with his book The Shepherd Leader, which is used by churches to equip their leaders to care for their people. He then recommends The Shepherd Leader at Home to apply the principles of shepherding care to men as they lead their families. Also consider Dr. Witmer’s post Finding the Sheep That Refuses to Be Found, or his article “Seminary: A Place to Prepare Pastors?”.
He brings his passion for pastoral ministry to the classroom and is committed to equipping students to become well-rounded shepherds of God’s flock. His teaching is marked not only by the “nuts and bolts” of pastoral practice but also by grounding praxis on firm biblical and theological foundations.
- DMin, Reformed Theological Seminary, 1998
- MDiv, Westminster Theological Seminary, 1979
- BA, West Chester University, 1975.
Recognized as Distinguished Alumnus of the Year in 2013.
Dr. Witmer is an ordained teaching elder in the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA).
Teaching and Ministry History
- Pastor, St. Stephen Reformed Church, 2015–present
- Founder and Director, The Shepherds’ Institute, 1998–present
- Professor of Practical Theology, Westminster Theological Seminary, 1997–present
- Pastor, Crossroads Community Church, 1986–2014
- Associate Pastor, Berith Presbyterian Church (now Springton Lake), 1979–1986
- Mentored Ministry Integration Seminar (PT021P)
- Orientation to Ministerial Formation (PT111)
- Preaching and Apologetics (PT141)
- Church Dynamics and Pastoral Practice (PT311)
- Seminar in Leadership (PT332)
- Preaching from the New Testament (PT463)
- Illustrating Biblical Truth (PT471)
- Preaching from the Old Testament (PT481)
- Special Preaching Situations (PT543)
- Urban Mission Seminar (PTM671)
- Introduction and Orientation to Graduate Work (DMin Module PR1)
- Pastoral Theology (DMin Module PR2)
- Association for Doctor of Ministry Education
- Association of Evangelical Theological Field Educators
- Association for Theological Field Education (Institutional)
- Association of Practical Theology
- Evangelical Homiletics Society
Other Online Resources
- The Shepherd Leader, official site