Rev. Dr. Iain Duguid (PhD, Cambridge) is professor of Old Testament at Westminster Theological Seminary.
Dr. Duguid’s academic interests include various topics of Old Testament theology. His doctoral research was on Ezekiel, which was published in the Supplements to Vetus Testamentum series, and he remains part of the small but lively group of scholars around the world interested in the theology of that prophet. He has also published scholarly work on Esther, Nehemiah, the Song of Songs, Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi as well as more popular treatments of the patriarchs, Esther, and Daniel. Current research projects include Judges, the biblical theology of worship, and preaching Christ from the different genres of the Old Testament. As part of the oversight committee for the Holman Christian Standard Bible, he engages in regular discussions about best practices in Bible translation. He has also contributed to many study Bibles.
For those who are new to Dr. Duguid’s writing and teaching on his research interests, he recommends several resources as places to start. Consider his articles “Putting Priests in Their Place: Ezekiel’s Contribution to the History of the Old Testament Priesthood” in Ezekiel’s Hierarchical World: Wrestling with a Tiered Reality, or “But Did They Live Happily Ever After? The Eschatology of the Book of Esther” in the Westminster Theological Journal. Consider also “Nehemiah: The Best King Judah Never Had” in Let Us Go Up to Zion: Essays in Honour of H. G. M. Williamson on the Occasion of His Sixty-fifth Birthday. For a more substantial engagement, read his commentaries Ezekiel (NIV Application Commentary) or Song of Songs (Tyndale OT Commentary).
Samples of his preaching may been found in the Reformed Expository Commentary series (Esther & Ruth; Daniel) or in his series on the patriarchs in the Gospel According to the Old Testament series (Abraham; Isaac & Jacob; Joseph). Many recorded sermons are also available.
- PhD, University of Cambridge, 1992
- MDiv, Westminster Theological Seminary, 1989
- BSc, University of Edinburgh, 1981
Dr. Duguid is an ordained teaching elder in the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church (ARPC) and has planted and pastored several churches including Redeemer Presbyterian Church (EPCEW), Barton, Oxford, England; Grace Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Fallbrook, CA; Christ Presbyterian Church in Grove City, PA; and Christ Presbyterian Church in Glenside, PA, which is his current pastoral position.
Teaching and Professional History
- Professor of Old Testament, Westminster Theological Seminary, 2014–present
- Professor of Old Testament and Religion, Grove City College, Grove City, PA, 2006–2014
- Professor of Old Testament, Westminster Seminary California; Teaching elder in South Coast Presbytery (PCA), 1996–2006
- Assistant Professor of Biblical Languages and Registrar, Reformed Theological Seminary, Jackson, 1995–1996
- Missionary Electrical Engineer, ELWA Christian Radio Station and Hospital, Monrovia, Liberia, 1983–1985
- Electrical Engineer, Glasgow, 1981–83
- Old Testament History and Theology I (OT211)
- Poetry and Wisdom (OT323)
- Judges (OT963)
- Biblical Theology of Worship (OT940)