Alexander (Sandy) Finlayson
Mr. Alexander (Sandy) Finlayson (MTS, Tyndale Seminary) is library director and professor of theological bibliography at Westminster Theological Seminary. Sandy holds degrees from the University of Toronto and Tyndale Theological Seminary in Canada, where he was also library director for eleven years. Mr. Finlayson served as an elder in the Toronto congregation of the Free Church of Scotland for ten years.
Mr. Finlayson’s academic interests include Scottish Presbyterianism and theological libraries. For those who are new to Mr. Finlayson’s writing and teaching on these interests, he recommends several resources as places to start. On Scottish Presbyterianism, he would suggest his recent biography on Thomas Chalmers, as well as the book Unity and Diversity: The Founders of the Free Church of Scotland. Also, consider his discussion with Reformed Forum on the topic of the founders of the Free Church of Scotland. Regarding the role of theological libraries, he would suggest listening to his inaugural lecture as the librarian at Westminster, “Westminster and Wikipedia: The Westminster Seminary Library in the 21st Century,” which was also published as an article in the Westminster Theological Journal.
- MTS, Tyndale Seminary, 2002
- MLS, University of Toronto, 1982
- BA, University of Toronto, 1980
Mr. Finlayson is an ordained ruling elder in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC)
Teaching and Professional History
- Library Director and Professor of Theological Bibliography, Westminster Theological Seminary, 2002–present
- Library Director, Tyndale College & Seminary, 1991–2002
- Public Services Librarian, University of Saskatchewan Libraries, 1982–1991
- Theological Bibliography & Research Methods (PT421/PT421P)
- Introduction and Orientation to Graduate Work (DMin Module PR1)
- American Theological Library Association
- South Eastern Pennsylvania Library Association