David B. Garner
Rev. Dr. David B. Garner (PhD, Westminster Theological Seminary) is dean of faculty, systematic theology department coordinator, associate professor of systematic theology, and vice president of global ministries at Westminster Theological Seminary.
A graduate of the University of North Carolina (BS, 1987), Dallas Theological Seminary (ThM, 1992) and Westminster Theological Seminary (PhD, 2002), David Garner has served in theological education, pastoral ministry, and parachurch ministries since 1986. He has lived and taught in various parts of the world, including Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Asia. From 2003–2007, he served as Director for TE3 (Theological Education for Eastern Europe), a regional theological training ministry based in Sofia, Bulgaria. Since 2007, he has taught systematic theology at Westminster Theological Seminary, and continues to teach around the world, most frequently in Asia.
Dr. Garner’s academic interests include the doctrine of adoption, the doctrine of Scripture, Christology, and ecclesiology (with special concern for the interface of theology and missions). For those who are new to Dr. Garner’s writing and teaching on these interests, he recommends several resources as places to start. On adoption, consider his lectures from the Together for Adoption conference, or his Reformed Forum interview, “The Eschatology of Adoption.” On the doctrine of Scripture, consider his lectures on Scripture from the Westminster Full Confidence conference in 2010, or his book Did God Really Say?. On his work on missions, particularly his study and writing on the Insider Movement, consider his article, “High Stakes: Insider Movement Hermeneutics and the Gospel.”
- PhD, Westminster Theological Seminary, 2002
- ThM, Dallas Theological Seminary, 1992
- BS, University of North Carolina, 1987
Dr. Garner is an ordained teaching elder in the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA). He previously served as pastor of teaching at Proclamation Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Bryn Mawr, PA until 2015, and a missionary to Bulgaria from 2003–2007.
Teaching and Professional History
- Associate Professor of Systematic Theology, Westminster Theological Seminary, 2007–present
- Vice President of Global Ministries, 2019–Present; Vice President, Westminster Theological Seminary: Advancement, 2015–2019; Institutional Partnerships, 2010–2012; Advancement, 2008–2010; and Alumni Relations & Educational Advancement, 2007–2008
- Adjunct Professor, Geneva College (Center for Urban Theological Studies), 2007–2010
- Director, Theological Education for Eastern Europe, (Sofia, Bulgaria), 2003–2007
- The Doctrine of the Church (PT/ST211)
- Prolegomena to Theology (ST101)
- Doctrine of Man (ST211)
- The Theology of Adoption (ST921)
- The Westminster Standards (ST932)
Other Online Resources
- Dr. Garner writes a column several times a month entitled Sine Qua Non, which can be found at Place for Truth.