David B. Garner
Rev. Dr. David B. Garner is Chief Academic Officer, Vice President of Global Ministries, and Professor of Systematic Theology at Westminster Theological Seminary.
A graduate of the University of North Carolina (BS, 1987), Dallas Theological Seminary (ThM, 1992) and Westminster Theological Seminary (PhD, 2002), David Garner has served in theological education, pastoral ministry, missions, and parachurch ministries since 1986. He has lived and taught in various parts of the world, including Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Asia. From 2003–2007, he served as Director for TE3 (Theological Education for Eastern Europe), a regional theological training ministry based in Sofia, Bulgaria. Since 2007, he has taught systematic theology and missiology at Westminster Theological Seminary, and continues to teach around the world, most frequently in Asia. Dr. Garner’s interests include the doctrine of adoption, the doctrine of Scripture/revelation, Christology, and ecclesiology—with special concern for the interface of theology and missions. A frequent conference speaker, Dr. Garner also serves as the Systematic Theology Book Review Editor for Themelios Journal. While teaching at Westminster, he also served as Pastor of Teaching at Proclamation Presbyterian Church (Bryn Mawr, PA) from 2012–2015. Dr. Garner is married and father of six (6) children, ages 16–27.
Representative Academic and Popular Publications:
- Sons in the Son: The Riches and Reach of Adoption in Christ. Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R, 2016.
- How Can I Know For Sure? Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R, 2014.
- Did God Really Say? Affirming the Truthfulness and Trustworthiness of Scripture. Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R, 2012.
- “A Sanctified Syllogism,” PlaceforTruth.org (July 2015).
- “Serial Choice? Hermeneutics and a High View of the Bible,” Reformation21 (September 2013.
- “Intinction and Extinction: Where is Our Good Faith?”, Reformation21 (March 2013).
- “High Stakes: Insider Movement Hermeneutics and the Gospel,” Themelios 37:2 (2012): 249-74.
- “Is Sandusky Such a Bad Guy After All?” Reformation21 (July 2012).
- “A World of Riches,” Reformation21 (April 2011).
- „Библия и традиция” (“The Bible and Tradition”), in Реформацията: История и Съвременни Измерения (Sofia, Bulgaria: New Bulgarian University, 2007).
- PhD, Westminster Theological Seminary, 2002
- ThM, Dallas Theological Seminary, 1992
- BS, University of North Carolina, 1987
Dr. Garner is an ordained teaching elder in the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA). He previously served as pastor of teaching at Proclamation Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Bryn Mawr, PA until 2015, and a missionary to Bulgaria from 2003–2007.
Teaching and Professional History
- Professor of Systematic Theology, Westminster Theological Seminary, 2007–present
- Vice President of Global Ministries, 2019–Present; Vice President, Westminster Theological Seminary: Advancement, 2015–2019; Institutional Partnerships, 2010–2012; Advancement, 2008–2010; and Alumni Relations & Educational Advancement, 2007–2008
- Adjunct Professor, Geneva College (Center for Urban Theological Studies), 2007–2010
- Director, Theological Education for Eastern Europe, (Sofia, Bulgaria), 2003–2007
- The Doctrine of the Church (PT/ST211)
- Prolegomena to Theology (ST101)
- Doctrine of Man (ST211)
- The Theology of Adoption (ST921)
- The Westminster Standards (ST932)
Other Online Resources
- Dr. Garner writes a column several times a month entitled Sine Qua Non, which can be found at Place for Truth.