R. Kent Hughes
Rev. Dr. R. Kent Hughes (DMin, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) holds the John Boyer Chair of Evangelism and Culture and is professor of practical theology. He has more than 40 years of experience in pastoral ministry, including youth ministry, church planting, and 27 years as senior pastor of College Church in Wheaton, IL. Dr. Hughes has authored over 30 books, including Disciplines of a Godly Man and Liberating Ministry from the Success Syndrome. He is also senior editor of the acclaimed Preaching the Word commentary series, authoring many of the New Testament volumes himself, including Mark: Jesus, Servant and Savior, which received the ECPA Gold Medallion Book Award for best commentary in 1990.
Dr. Hughes is also a founder of the Charles Simeon Trust, which conducts expository preaching conferences throughout North America and worldwide. A festschrift was published in his honor in 2008. Preach The Word: Essays on Expository Preaching in Honor of R. Kent Hughes includes contributions by D. A. Carson, Wayne Grudem, John F. MacArthur, Bruce Winter, J. I. Packer, Phillip Jensen, Philip Graham Ryken, Peter Jensen, and more.
Dr. Hughes’s primary academic and teaching interest is expository preaching. Particularly, he has spent his career studying and teaching a model of scholarly preaching that biblically integrates careful exegesis, Christ-centered biblical theology, and contemporary application. For those who are new to Dr. Hughes’s work on expositional preaching, he recommends several resources as places to start. He recommends watching two particular lectures from the 2014 Westminster Preaching Conference. Dr. Hughes considers these his prolegomena and rationale for biblical exposition. They are “Essential Bibliology” and “Essential Cardiology.” Also, consider his Preaching the Word commentary series, in particular, his volumes on Genesis, Luke, and 2 Corinthians.
- DD, Biola University, 1991
- DMin, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, 1981
- MDiv, Talbot School of Theology, 1972
- BA, Whittier College, 1964
Rev. Dr. Hughes is senior pastor emeritus of College Church in Wheaton, IL, and a frequent preacher and speaker at churches, pastor’s retreats, mission conferences, men’s events, and workshops on biblical exposition.
Teaching and Professional History
- Westminster Theological Seminary, 2015–present
- Senior Pastor of College Church in Wheaton, IL, 1979–2006
- Church planter in Southern California, 1974–1979
- Adjunct professor at Talbot School of Theology, 1974–1979
- Served variously as high school pastor, college pastor and associate pastor, 1963–1974
- Youth for Christ Club Director, 1960–61
- Expository Skills & Evaluation (PT221)
- Mentored Ministry Integration Seminar (PT021P)
- Illustrating Biblical Truth (PT 471)
Boards and Memberships
- Board member of the The Gospel Coalition
- Board member of Crossway Books
- Translation Oversight Committee of the English Standard Version
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Americans United for Life
- Founding Chairman of the Charles Simeon Trust