Dr. Alfred Poirier (DMin, Westminster Theological Seminary) will join Westminster faculty in July 2018 as a visiting professor, with particular focus on teaching pastoral counseling. Dr. Alfred Poirier is currently serving at Westminster Seminary California as an Adjunct Professor of Pastoral Counseling. He also serves as Senior Pastor at Rocky Mountain Community Church (PCA) in Billings, Montana where he has pastored for the last 26 years.
Dr. Poirier has held a number of additional teaching positions and has also served as a pastor at Oak Hill Presbyterian Church (OPC) for eight years. Dr. Poirier’s academic interests lie in the areas of pastoral counseling and expository preaching. He is the author of The Peacemaking Pastor (Baker, 2006), and Words that Cut: Learning to Take Criticism in Light of the Gospel (Peacemaker Ministries) and several articles in The Journal of Biblical Counseling.
Dr. Poirier has been married to his wife, Trudy, for 41 years and together they have 3 children: Sarah Clark, Sonja Stordahl, and Anya Valeriano; and ten grandchildren.
- DMin, Westminster Theological Seminary, 2004
- MDiv, Westminster Seminary California, 1984
- MAR, Westminster Seminary California, 1983
- BA in Religious Studies, California State University, Chico, 1980
- Senior Pastor, Rocky Mountain Community Church (PCA), 1992–Present
- Pastor, Oak Hill Presbyterian Church (OPC), 1984–1992
- Interim Pastor, Del Mar Community Church, 1983–1984
- Associate Pastor, Del Mar Community Church, 1982–1983
- Youth Pastor, Del Mar Community Church, 1980–1982
TEACHING AND PROFESSIONAL HISTORY
- Adjunct Lecturer in Pastoral Theology, Westminster Seminary California, 2000, 2002, 2006–present
- Adjunct Faculty, National Litigation Academy, Alliance Defense Fund, 1999–2009
- Adjunct Faculty, Blackstone Fellowship, Alliance Defense Fund, 1999–present
- Adjunct Instructor and Certified Mediator, Peacemakers Ministries, 1994–2009