Dr. Mark A. Garcia (PhD, Edinburgh University) will join Westminster Theological Seminary as associate professor of systematic theology on July 1. 2021. Garcia is also the founding President and Fellow in Scripture and Theology at Greystone Theological Institute.
He served as pastor at Immanuel Orthodox Presbyterian Church (Coraopolis, PA) from 2007–2021. He was Senior Member and Post-doctoral Research Associate at Wolfson College and Visiting Scholar in the Faculty of History at Cambridge University from 2006–2007, Honorary Research Fellow at the University of East Anglia from 2014–2018, and has taught theology regularly as an adjunct professor at Westminster and other Reformed seminaries since 2007.
Dr. Garcia’s academic interests range across disciplines. In theology, special interests include the doctrine of Christ and figural hermeneutics; theological anthropology, especially gender and marriage–divorce theory; and theological interpretation of Leviticus as a catechism for a Christian theory of reality. In 2008 he published Life in Christ: Union with Christ and Twofold Grace in Calvin’s Theology (Paternoster) and has published numerous articles and essays on a variety of theological topics. He has been contracted to write a commentary on the book of Romans for Hodder & Stoughton, and is writing books on the theology of gender, the order of reality, and the reason(s) for the incarnation of the Son.
Resources Garcia recommends include Herman Bavinck, Reformed Dogmatics (4 vols.); Gregory of Nazianzus, “First Theological Oration”; Anselm, Proslogion; John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion; Richard B. Gaffin, Jr., Resurrection and Redemption; Geerhardus Vos, The Pauline Eschatology; Julián Marías, Metaphysical Anthropology; Richard Muller, Dictionary of Latin and Greek Theological Terms, 2nd ed.; Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov; Walter Wangerin, Jr., The Book of the Dun Cow.
Video and audio lectures of Garcia can be found at GreystoneConnect.org.
- PhD University of Edinburgh, 2004
- MAR Westminster Theological Seminary, 2000
- BS Clearwater Christian College, 1998
- Pastor, Immanuel Orthodox Presbyterian Church, Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, 2007–2021
- Ministerial Member of the Presbytery of Ohio (OPC), 2007–present
- Teacher, Lake Sherwood Orthodox Presbyterian Church, Orlando, Florida, 2005–2006
TEACHING AND PROFESSIONAL HISTORY
- Associate Professor, Westminster Theological Seminary, 2021–present
- President and Fellow in Scripture and Theology, Greystone Theological Institute, 2015–present
- Adjunct Professor of Systematic Theology, Westminster Theological Seminary, 2006–2021
- Honorary Research Fellow, University of East Anglia, 2014–2018
- Adjunct Professor of Theology, Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary, 2009–2019
- Senior Member and Post-doctoral Research Associate, Wolfson College, Cambridge University, 2006–2007
- Visiting Scholar, Faculty of History, Cambridge University, 2006–2007
- Research Fellow, Craig Center for the Study of the Westminster Standards, Westminster Theological Seminary, 2006–2007
- Adjunct Lecturer, Reformed Theological Seminary, 2004–2006
- Doctrine of Man (ST 211)
- Doctrine of God (ST 113)
- Doctrine of Salvation (ST 313)
- Doctrine of the Church (ST 343)