Rev. Dr. Vern Poythress (PhD, Harvard; DTh, Stellenbosch) is professor of New Testament interpretation at Westminster Theological Seminary, where he has taught for 39 years, and is editor of the Westminster Theological Journal.
Dr. Poythress’s academic interests include how Christianity and the Trinitarian nature of God impact all areas of life. He has also spent much of his career studying and teaching biblical interpretation and hermeneutics. For those who are new to Dr. Poythress’s writing and teaching on these interests, he recommends several resources as places to start. Regarding Christianity in relationship to all areas of life, consider his books Redeeming Science, Redeeming Philosophy, or Chance and the Sovereignty of God. A related book is In the Beginning Was the Word, which looks at the Trinitarian foundations for language. Another recent publication in this area is Redeeming Mathematics; consider both his interview on the book and blog on the topic.
Regarding hermeneutics and biblical interpretation, he would recommend starting with his books Symphonic Theology and The Returning King. Other related books include Inerrancy and Worldview, The Shadow of Christ in the Law of Moses, and God-Centered Biblical Interpretation.
Many of Dr. Poythress’s books are available in digital formats online for free.
- DTh, University of Stellenbosch, 1981
- MLitt, University of Cambridge, 1977
- ThM, Westminster Theological Seminary, 1974
- MDiv, Westminster Theological Seminary, 1974
- PhD, Harvard University, 1970
- BS, California Institute of Technology, 1966
Dr. Poythress is an ordained teaching elder in the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA).
Teaching and Professional History
- Professor, Westminster Theological Seminary, 1976–present
- Editor, Westminster Theological Journal, 2005–present
- Teaching Staff, Summer Institute of Linguistics, 1972, ’74, ’75 and ’77
- Assistant Professor of Mathematics, Fresno State College, 1970–1971
- Theology of Science (AP981)
- Biblical Hermeneutics: Old and New Testaments (NT123)
- New Testament Interpretation: General Epistles and Revelation (NT311)
- Parables and Miracles of Christ (NT721)
- The Book of Revelation (NT733)
- Miracles and Miraculous Gifts (NT853)
- Greek Discourse Analysis (NT891)
- Theology of Language and Interpretation (NT931)
- Theological Models and Exegesis (NT951)
- The Structure of Pauline Theology (NT961)
- Hermeneutical Foundations (NT993)
- Topics in the Doctrine of Man (ST761)
- Evangelical Theological Society (ETS)
- Linguistic Association of Canada and the United States (1978–90)